This site contains resources,
artifacts, and other materials created or developed over the course of
the past two years, as the Fairfield faculty has engaged in the work of
Goal I of the University's strategic plan, integrating the core
curriculum. As this work proceeded, we realized that we need to
broaden our focus to include an emphasis on integrative teaching and
learning across all schools and programs, both undergraduate and
graduate. Integrative teaching and learning, if it is to be
effective in core courses, must become part of our institutional
culture so that students and faculty alike explore and appreciate the
importance of making connections among our courses, and among our
courses, our University mission, and our lives.
We welcome visitors to this site! Feel free to review important
documents, to look at artifacts created, to follow links to resources
that are helpful to you. The Core Advisory Group has endeavored
to build on the work done by faculty at workshops, retreats, poster
sessions and in other activities. We believe our current work
reflects guidance from a wide range of faculty, students, staff, and
administrators who have been part of this ongoing conversation.
Please direct any questions or comments to me or to any other members of the Core Advisory Committee.
1. Kickoff Event -- Bellarmine Hall -- September 2006
2. Ken Bain -- What the Best College Teachers Do -- October 2006
- PPT "Creating an inviting syllabus" workshop
3. Sturbridge Retreat -- November 2006
- Stories of the Core -- Written by working groups to incoming
students, parents, Board of Trustee members, or NEASC representatives.
The assignment is to describe the core to one of these
- PPT slides describing the integrative teaching and learning project.
- PPT slides describing what integrative teaching and learning might look like.
4. Stephen Brookfield -- Becoming a Critically Reflective Teacher -- March 2007
5. May Faculty Development Day and Celebration -- May 2007
6. John Zubizarreta -- The Learning Portfolio -- October 2007
7. The Core Unmasked -- Halloween 2007
8. Faculty Learning Communities -- 2007-2008
9. AAC&U (American Association of Colleges and Universities) Resources